Americans want cannabis legalized. This is evident when you look at how many states currently offer medical or recreational cannabis programs. A new survey, however, provides statistical data to back this claim. A poll known as the General Social Survey was recently conducted. According to reports by Business Insider, the General Social Survey has been obtaining data regarding cannabis support since the early 1970s. The most recent General Social Survey shows that 61% of Americans think that cannabis should be legalized nationwide.
In the years 1987 and 1990, the GSS collected data showing that only a mere 16% of the adult population in the U.S. supported legalization. That is quite a significant jump in just a few short decades. The most recent GSS report also made some interesting findings regarding what demographic of individuals support legalization. Here are the key details and results from the most recent GSS that may interest you.
- 69% of Democratic voters support the legalization of cannabis.
- 66% of Independent voters support the legalization of cannabis.
- 42% of Republican voters support the legalization of cannabis.
- 42% of individuals 65 years of age or older support cannabis legalization.
- 70% of individuals between the ages of 18 and 34 support the legalization of cannabis.
- 68% of respondents from the Midwest support cannabis legalization.
- More than 50% of voters in the south support cannabis legalization.
The Beginning of the End of Cannabis Prohibition in the U.S.
With statistical data such as this showing strong support for legalization by United States citizens it won’t be long before the issue is one that cannot be ignored. This is a key reason why many 2020 presidential candidates are starting to address their viewpoints on cannabis legalization as a way of supporting their constituents. After all, aren’t they supposed to represent the views and wishes of citizens and not their own private personal agendas?
Cannabis legalization is coming to the United States, it is only a matter of time. With support rates this high, hopefully, we will be lighting our joints in celebration, sooner rather than later!